I am here to tell you that roasting a chicken is not as hard as you may think that it is. If you have a whole chicken, an hour, and a few easy to find veggies (you should have these in your house at all times), you can have yourself an awesome roasted chicken (I am assuming that you have spices in your house). Roasting is a healthy and tasty way to prepare chicken. Ok enough dilly dally, the recipe for tonight’s feast is as follows.
3 – 3.5 lb whole chicken (neck, liver, and gizards discarded…No one really eats that crap anyway) We got ours from EarthFare during a special they were having. Look for prepackaged ones in the deli/meat department.
2 celery stalks
1 T fresh rosemary
1 t taragon (we used dried)
1 t crushed garlic (about 1 clove)
1/2 t lemon juice
1. Position rack in the lower 3rd of the oven and preheat oven to to 400ºF.
2. In a bowl mix the rosemary, taragon, and garlic with the lemon juice so to make a paste
3. Place the chicken breast-side up on a cutting board. Use your hands to gently loosen the skin covering the breast, thighs and the top end of the drumsticks. Smear the lemon-herb mixture under the skin, covering as much of the meat as possible.
4. Toss the carrots, onions, and celery into a roasting pan (with out the rack) place the chicken on the veggies and toss it in the oven.
5. Cook for 1hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes (until the center of the breast is 160ºF.)
Walla, chicken is ready to eat. 308 calories, makes 4 servings;
We served ours with home made sweet potato fries & steamed corn on the cob which are both great and healthy sides.
Sweet Potato Fries
1/2 sweet potato cut into wedges
1/2 t of vegetable oil.
salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 (already set there for the chicken)
2. Spread the wedges out on a baking sheet and cook for 25 – 30 min until tender on the inside.
Toss the potato wedges in the oil, salt and pepper
2 servings; 106 calories.
And there we have our meal. We topped ours off with some steamed corn, but you can do what ever you want, and like. It is a relatively easy recipe and is super healthy and delicious for your tummy. This recipe is not found in a cook book, well I am sure it is somewhere, but I just made it up this evening based on ingredients we had in the kitchen!
Keep cooking all of you, and let me know if you have any questions about this or any other recipe!