1 Green bell pepper2 green bell peppers 1 red or orange bell pepper
- 1 small red onion, sliced in 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3/4 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined,
tails left on
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 scant teaspoon crumbled saffron threads(saffron is super $$$ so we typically leave it out!
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (we just used regular salt)
- 2 cups short-grain white rice, such as bomba, Valencia or arborio
12 hard-shell clams, such as littlenecks or cherrystones, or mussels 10 ounces raw spicy turkey or chicken sausage links2.5 ounces (1 link) of chorizo
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup halved pitted briny black olives
- 1/4 cup halved pitted briny green olives
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
What/Why We Made Changes
So we took a lot of liberties with this meal. A few reasons – one of them being that i don’t like clams. And another being that sometimes it just doesn’t make sense to buy really pricey herbs/spices for one meal (like saffron).
We also didn’t do the spicy turkey/chicken sausage because we didn’t want to buy another meat this week. We had some chorizo left over from a recipe in the past – so we decided to use one link of the chorizo to sub for 10 ounces of the turkey sausage. So it gave it a little heat – but didn’t pack on all the calories that a full 10 ounce substitution of chorizo would have provided!
For the actual cooking process – we didn’t cook anything on a grill. Remember, you can “grill” your peppers on the stove eye, just make sure you are carefully watching so you can turn them frequently. We also didn’t use skewers for the shrimp – we just cooked the shrimp in a pan and added it to the meal at the end. Very quick!
Calories: This is one of those weird ones where we changed it so much it’s hard to tell. Normally if we had followed all the ingredients we would be at 386 calories. But with such a change of ingredients, I’d say it’s harder to guess. We felt good about eating all 6 servings over 4 meals since we took out 2 types of meat from the meal.
This is a super hearty meal the way we made it. I can only imagine how much it would feel like if you kept the clams and turkey sausage in it!
Great dish though – and easy enough to trade out ingredients you like for the ones you don’t.