Here’s the link to the recipe from Cooking Light: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=50400000107431
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups shrimp and pasta mixture and 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese)
redgreen bell peppers
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine (or whatever pasta you have on hand would work)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (okay, we just use our regular butter here)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
dReJ Tip: This is another one of those recipes that ask you to do something weird with the peppers. Remember from week one’s post – you can imitate “roasting” just on the stove top. This one says “broil” but you can do the same thing on the stove top. So take your pick and if you want specifics, check out our week one food blog.
dReJ Say: This recipe is pretty simple. We skipped on the fresh sage because we didn’t feel like buying it, and sometimes fresh herbs are expensive. Okay, all the time! We try to pick meals that use the same herbs so it makes sense to buy them fresh. Overall, this recipe was good. I personally felt like it needed a little more “sauce.” RJ thought it was perfect as is…but i tend to be an over-seasoner, so if that’s you – just have something on hand to season it up a little bit. This is totally crazy and weird perhaps, but I was at work and felt the need to sauce it up a bit once i reheated it in the microwave. The only thing i could find in the work fridge was some reduced sodium soy sauce. Strange or not, a little soy did the trick!
- This is a pretty light meal at 378 – do bring some snacks, or make more pasta is that will fill you up. We are also a big fan of yummy baguette toasted up with some low fat cheese on top.