Quick Link to Recipe: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/slow_cooker_black_bean_mushroom_chili.html
10 servings, generous 1 cup each (we split this recipe in half to make 5 servings – so we got a little more than 1 serving each time)
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 6 1/4-9 1/4 hours
INGREDIENTS (remember to make half if you are cooking for 2 for the week!)
- 1 pound dried black beans, (2 1/2 cups), rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds, or ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds, or ground cardamom
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces tomatillos, (see Ingredient Note), husked, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 1/2 cups mushroom broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 1/4 cups grated Monterey Jack, or pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- dReJ addition: 1/2 lb ground turkey (this is ALREADY for half the servings)
dReJ Tip: We made this recipe as is (other than making half of the ingredients), and then we added our leftover ground turkey after we made our meatloaf. As you are putting the ingredients in the crock pot for STEP 3 of the recipe instructions on the link – add the crumbled up raw turkey. It will cook as you leave it in the crock pot.
If you have a slow cooker/crock pot – you are set. This is a super easy meal to make as you don’t have to be actively involved the entire cooking time. So don’t let the cook time freak you out. If you don’t have a crock pot – it does give stove top directions at the bottom of the recipe!
dReJ say: This was super delicious. Major A+ – and you can leave out the meat if you want, or add another kind that you like more. We served this with our Salsa Cornbread (see post for Braised Pork with Salsa for details).
Calories: Before adding the turkey in, we are looking about about 361 calories (we have to count that 5th serving split between our 4 servings). Adding in the turkey adds about 110 calories to this meal (and also made it a lot more hearty). Total of 451 for the chili!